12 September 2006

Bad boys, bad boys

There's been a rash of people recently calling or referring to me as a "cop". Now I don't so much mind being called a "copper" (one who cops?) but can't abide being called a "cop".
- How many cops are there in your team?
- Er, I'm not sure, but when did we all become American?

I don't claim any consistency whatsoever; why else would I mind cop and not copper? If anything, copper should be a source of pain and anxiety to me as it was one of the many names I have been called for having strawberry-blonde, yes it's strawberry-bloody-blonde hair, not ginger over the years. But I don't mind that. It's not even that it's an Americanism; a common term of address both in the street and in court is officer, which is derived from US culture (however, that's possibly just because it beats the ever-hilarious mispronunciation of Constable [how we laughed and laughed!].

I suppose it's just because it sounds so darned cheesey, faux American, mid-Atlantic Essex cowboyish. I dunno.

Anyway, apropos nothing except gingerism a new batch of Street Duties officers are out soon so the new competition will shortly commence in the Happiness BOCU to be the first to induce a new officer (we're not allowed to call them Gobby Probbies any more - yeah like THAT'S the worst they'll get called in the street!) to describe their suspect over the radio as IC7, the universal IC code for gingerists.



Let battle commence - bwah ha ha ha haaaaaaa......

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strawberry blonde? You are just a bit too ready to mention the Gingers website. I don't thnk you are being totally truthful.
I bet you have freckles, get sunburn easily and have a bad temper as well.
Have forgotten any Ginger cliches?

13 September, 2006 16:51  
Blogger Bitseach said...

Okay, mea culpa! You got me!
I am so pale I am almost blue, the nearest I have to a tan is when my freckles all join hands, I have been known to get sunburn on a cloudy day. However I am more grumpy than bad-tempered.
But heck, if you can't laugh at yourself.....
[more of a light auburn, maybe honey-blonde...not ginger.] LOL

13 September, 2006 21:31  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mother kindly refers to my skin as "translucent", I've been burned using factor 30, and I'm an irritable bugger. Which is why I don't appreciate the "strawberry-blonde is just another word for ginger" lobby. No it isn't - it's effin' strawberry blonde!

15 September, 2006 09:32  
Blogger Bitseach said...

Well I am convinced I am really a strawb, but everyone else (including the childhood bullies!) convinced me I was ginger.

Then puberty came and I could no longer deny it....[sheesh!]

17 September, 2006 23:28  
Blogger kris said...

Hotheads!

18 September, 2006 08:06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Up in Scotland we commonly use the term cop or cops, whereas we never use Bobby or Bobbies!

And the term cop actually came from the UK first and isn't American as you might believe, came from constable on patrol.

Anyway enough of my ramblings, good blog, keep it up!

18 September, 2006 18:30  
Blogger The Blue Pimpernel said...

You must draw the line between normal gingers and GWA's...

Ginger With Attitude!

Take care... :)

19 September, 2006 21:11  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My views are my own and would probably not endear me to my dear employers.