27 December 2006

My christmas gift to you all

Yes, I mean Christmas, not Winterval, Festivus or anything else. I am a traditionalist!

I am no lover of sprouts, in fact they are frequently referred to, in the Bitseach household, as Satan's Testicles and I normally eat exactly one per year, at Christmas, again because I am a traditionalist at heart.

However, this tried and tested recipe for Brussel Sprout Soup is FANTASTIC. It's so good, it's actually worth buying the little testes just to make this soup.

For 3 people:

1/2 lb chopped Brussels sprouts
1 onion (chopped)
1 pint of stock (chicken or ham is best), real or 1 cube per pint
1 flat teaspoon of nutmeg or cinnamon (sounds dodgy but go with it)
1 tablespoon oil

Saute onion in oil (for a nicer favour use a small knob of butter in the oil - the goodness of oil with the yummy flavour of butter) gently until soft but not brown. Add chopped brussel sprouts and mix on low heat for 5 minutes. Then add stock and nutmeg / cinnamon.

Simmer for 15 minutes then allow to cool. Once cool enough to do so safely (I can never wait this long and end up with scalding splashes of soup all over my face, hands and clothing but I don't recommend this course of action!), liquidise. I would imagine this stage is also easier if you have posh cooking-type equipment - I make do with an electric hand blender which does the job. This is a vital step though in producing the lovely thick creamy soup that tastes of loveliness and not of sprouts, so don't neglect the liquidising!

Either now re-heat to serve or chill (never tried it chilled but I guess it wouldn't kill you) to use as a starter.

1 pint of stock serves 3 people for a very filling and delicious soup. Increase quantities pro rata for larger volumes of soup. It would probably also be nice with a bit of bacon chopped and gently saute-ed in at the beginning too, but I normally just stick with the original version.

Enjoy, and think kindly of PC Bitseach and her colleagues as you eat this lovely soup.

Merry Christmas!

7 Comments:

Blogger Annette said...

I am a little surprised you like sprouts in a soup.
What's the difference is it because the taste of the sprouts is hidden by the other ingredients?
I love sprouts myself and I look forward to when they come into season, but , yes I will try your soup.

27 December, 2006 21:19  
Blogger PC South West said...

Nice one, we have loads of spouts left over so will give it a go.

28 December, 2006 18:10  
Blogger Bitseach said...

Annette - I KNOW! Whouda thunk it?

I don't know what exactly it is about the cooking and liquidising process that converts these hateful vegetables into something that makes me go "mmMMMMmmmm, this is SOOO good!" at every single spoonful, but it does. I don't think it's the extra ingredients because when I made some recently and didn't have an onion in the flat I used a couple of chopped up sticks of celery instead and it was jsut as good with celery.

Heston Blumenthal could probably tell us the science behind it...

PC-SW - hope you enjoy - it doesn't LOOK terribly appetising when it's made (geese always spring into my mind for some reason), but go with it.

29 December, 2006 17:17  
Blogger TotallyUn-Pc said...

cheers you Jamie Oliver groupie!

Happy New Year

30 December, 2006 10:12  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try using a tall/narrow jug with your handblender to avoid the splashes. Any cheapo plastic jobbie will do.

02 January, 2007 15:10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello everyone.I am a new forum. I know, the forum is a good place to learn and interact with other people, allowing people to share their experiences and eachother.hope exchange ideas, make friends, contribute to this forum! ! Learning new things, share information, help others, it may be .. I am a automotive engineering students. Looks like a great place. Hope to many people in touch with you.

sofie schnoor sko
Amazon Voucher Codes

16 November, 2011 12:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what exactly it is about the cooking and liquidising process that converts these hateful vegetables into something that makes me go "mmMMMMmmmm, this is SOOO good!" at every single spoonful, but it does. I don't think it's the extra ingredients because when I made some recently and didn't have an onion in the flat I used a couple of chopped up sticks of celery instead and it was jsut as good with celery.
HCG
ipod touch accessories

26 November, 2011 16:37  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My views are my own and would probably not endear me to my dear employers.